Pages

Friday, April 25, 2014

Tasting - "Garnacha de Fuego Old Vine Grenache"


Name: Garnacha de Fuego Old Vine Grenache
Variety:100% Grenache cuvee
Region: Aragon
Country: Spain
Year: 2013 
Alcohol: N/A
Vintage Cellar Price: Sale $8.95

Review: "The Garnacha de Fuego, a 100% Grenache cuvee, was aged in both stainless steel and neutral French oak. There are 10,000 cases for the United States. This amazing wine boasts a dark ruby/purple color along with a sweet kiss of jammy black cherries intertwined with crushed rock notes that give the wine an undeniable minerality. As it hits the palate, a full-bodied, voluptuous texture takes hold and the flavor profile moves towards blacker fruits (ripe raspberries and black currants) intermixed with camphor and forest floor. This full-bodied, rich, glycerin-filled effort should drink well for 4-5 years, perhaps longer."

My Review: I found very pomegranate, cherry, acidic notes upon the sniff. I found this start was appealing but upon the taste, it all went kinda sour on me. It was very smokey which I found to be too overwhelming for my taste buds as well as the finish was extremely dry. Not the kind of wine I would ever sip on let alone drink a bottle of. I think this wine could have really had a great palate if it would have stayed away from the smokiness and fixed that dry ending.

On this occasion I tasted this wine on its own without food

No comments:

Post a Comment