Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Tasting - "Vina Borgia Borsao 2012"

Name: Vina Borgia Borsao 2012
Variety: Grenache 100%
Region: Campo de Borja
Country: Spain
Year: 2012
Alcohol: 14%
Vintage Cellar Price: Sale $6.95

Review: 86 Points - Robert Parker "Also made from 100% Grenache, the 2012 Vina Borgia was fermented an aged in stainless steel. It's medium dark ruby color is followed by abundant notes of strawberries an black cherries offered in an straight forward, medium bodied, soft, hedonistic, round style. It is hard to believe a wine this good can sell for $7 a bottle. Enjoy it over the next 1-2 years."

My Review: The nose had quite a few notes of different berries such a strong cherry smell. It was very dry on the first taste and had quite a few hints of blackberries and cherries with many different fruity undertones. I did pick up on a light smokey taste but that was surprising considering it came from stainless steel vs. barrels. Also the oak was peculiar too. I thought it had an okay body, not really what I expect of a red wine, but I have come to think Spain just isn't my cup  of tea when it comes to their wines and my taste buds. Not something I enjoyed tasting, maybe if it was paired with food that really changed the depth of the flavors I would be more incline to have a glass.

On this occasion I tasted this wine on its own without food

No comments:

Post a Comment