Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Tasting - "Jam Jar Sweet White"

Name: Jam Jar Sweet White
Variety: Muscat
Region: Western Cape
Country: South Africa
Year: 2011 

Alcohol: 10%
Vintage Cellar Price: Sale $8.95

Review: "100% Muscat. Soft floral hints add depth to the otherwise straightforward ripe peach and nectarine aromas. There's a good balance in the mouth, with a nice acidic lift and slightly lime edge to cut the sweetness on the finish and close with the faintest hint of honeydew melons."

My Review: First I must say that the name of this wine isn't doing it a bit of justice because my first instinct is SWEET like smuckers. . . like I am about to drink the leftovers of jam or something. . .ew terrible thought. Don't get me wrong I love jam but NASTY thought in my opinion like drinking pure syrup. BUT to get to the actual tasting the nose smelled a lot like white peaches, pleasant not over powering. The taste however was overly sweet in my opinion, and I did not catch the acid notes I was hoping would come through to cut that sweetness. It didn't have a crazy flavor profile but sweet is definitely the best adjective to describe this particular Muscat. I would give it to very young wine drinkers that probably started out on Cupcake Moscato like me many moons ago. Not a fan of the overly sweet ones anymore. They just don't add anything but an upset stomach at the end of it.

P.S. The last 5 tastings including this one I was extremely disappointed in. I'm not sure if it was just a bad week for my pallet or what because in all the rest of my tastings in the past I always found one wine I loved and purchased. Not at all the outcome this week :(

On this occasion I tasted this wine on its own without food

No comments:

Post a Comment